Monday, February 1, 2010

Concealment

“Then I acknowledged my sin to You and did not conceal my iniquity. I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,’ and You took away the guilt of my sin.” Psalm 32:5

Christians try to avoid sin. We recognize its hurtfulness to others or to our selves or to our relationship with the Lord and with others, so we try to stay away from it. Sometimes, however, we mess up and sin. Because it is personally embarrassing, we may typically keep it concealed from others. Some even try to conceal it from God. Why anyone would try, though, is puzzling.

David said that he acknowledged his sin to the Lord and did not try to conceal it. He apparently realized at some point that it was not possible to conceal anything from God. God knows it already. In fact, there is nothing about us He is not aware of. Nothing is hidden from Him.

David learned that the acknowledgement and confession of sin to God brings forgiveness and cleansing because of His compassion and grace. When God forgives He takes away the guilt of our sin. It is done, complete. And we need then to let it stay with Him. In other words, we need to NOT try to take the guilt back from Him. That is then how we know the joy of forgiveness and restoration.

Lord, Help us to live free today from all guilt through confession and forgiveness. Amen.

No comments: