Thursday, August 27, 2009

Confidence

“Still I am confident.” (Psalm 27:3c)

David in Psalm 27 is lofty and magnificent in his praise and prayer toward God. This expression of his confidence in God, his trust in God, and his reliance on God is genuinely at the heart level. This psalm seems to touch many of us in our own hearts and leads us to a greater depth of love toward God.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation… a stronghold of my life. My heart is not afraid… still I am confident. Wait for the Lord." These statements and others like them from Psalm 27 all speak of the confidence we can have in the Lord, a confidence not born of generated emotions from within but by consistent interaction with the Spirit of the Living God. That is, after all, the only real basis and source for genuine confidence.

Confidence is all about us trusting God. We can trust God when things don’t go so well (“though an army deploy against me”), when we come before God in worship (“I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tent with shouts of joy.”), when we may feel that others have abandoned us (“Even if my father and mother abandon me, the Lord cares for me.”), and even when death may be near (“I am certain that I will see the Lord’s goodness in the land of the living.”).

Lord, Our confidence is fully in You. We trust our lives to You. Amen.

No comments: