Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Foundations

“I believed, even when I said, ‘I am afflicted.’” (Psalm 116:10)

People sometimes go through life trauma. It may be an event. It may be a relationship. It may be health. These trauma can shake us to our foundations, depending on the severity, and they can impact our spiritual well-being. At times, some may even shake their fist at God and depart from Him like a prodigal.

It is important to ask ourselves: Is my faith such that, when I am going through extreme affliction, I continue to trust God? Or, is my faith in God more of the “fair weather” type, such that I believe in Him and trust Him as long as things are going well in my life?

Maybe we should ask ourselves: Upon what is my faith based? Upon what should it be based? Faith should be based on the truth of God as presented in His word. It should be based on love, on God’s love for us and our love for Him. Faith should be based on the promises of God, promises like, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Today, examine your own heart and determine where you stand with regard to the foundations of your faith. If you determine something is wrong with your foundation, then move to The Foundation, Jesus Christ, our Rock. That is where you will find your release to live a solidly founded faith.

Lord, Help us always to see beyond affliction and difficulty. May our faith always be strong in You. Amen.

No comments: