Monday, October 13, 2008

Safe Haven

“Lord, I seek refuge in You; let me never be disgraced. Save me by Your righteousness.” (Psalm 31:1 CSB) “But I trust in You, Lord; I say, ‘You are my God.’ The course of my life is in Your power; deliver me from the power of my enemies and from my persecutors.” (Psalm 31:14-15 CSB)

A refuge is a “go-to” place. It’s the place you go to when danger is lurking. It is a safe haven, a safe harbor against the storms, a place that is safe, where harm cannot get to you. It is a fortress and a stronghold against attack.

David knew about refuges. He spent years out in the wilderness running for his life from a madman king who wanted to destroy him. He found some great places of refuge where he and his followers could be safe from harm. But along the way he discovered something of immense importance to him: there is no comparison between an earthly refuge and the refuge that comes from knowing the Lord. He was able to sing with experience, “Lord, I seek refuge in You,” and also, “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” He understood experientially that God offers the best of all refuges.

That is why David could also say, “But I trust in You Lord.” The refuge that God gave him generated trust, and in trust he could always go to the God who was his refuge. That is also why David could say, “May the Lord be praised, for He has wonderfully shown His faith love to me in a city under siege.” (Psalm 31:21 CSB)

The Lord is our “Safe Haven” against all harm. He is our source of strength and our victory.

Lord, To You be all glory, honor, and power forever. For You are Lord, the Creator of all things. Amen.

No comments: